Friday 8 July 2011

The Irish Dream



After sitting at a crowded desk all day, I decided to get out of my house on Wednesday evening and head to the cinema with the girls. The film that just had to be seen was Bridesmaids. It didn't disappoint, I can tell you that for free.

With most rom-coms, the trailer actually holds greater hilarity than the film itself. However, in this case, the advert didn't do it justice. The entire cinema was in a constant roar of laughter; from witty banter to awkward sexual encounters, Bridesmaids is pure genius. Whoever said women weren't funny? I'd like to see those big shots sit through this two hour picture without a secret chuckle creeping out of their sexist lungs.

Kristen Wiig plays the lovable Annie, but as well as acting the lead role, Kristen also co-wrote this priceless comedy. A favourite fraction of her performance has to be when she gets pissed on the plane, closely followed by her attempt to catch a cop's eye. However, the film would not be quite so wholesome without the adorable character, Officer Rhodes. This cheeky piece of Irish eye candy is played by the IT Crowd's, Chris O'Dowd (apologies for the unintentional rhyme).




I personally know of this charming actor from the film, The Boat That Rocked. This is the moment I first fell in love with this Irish beefcake. The film captures a crowd of rebellious dj's working on a pirate radio station in the 60's. O'Dowd played a goofy crew member; with his alluring accent and skillful wit, the star soon rocked my boat! But however much I adore this movie, it didn't quite kick off O'Dowd's Hollywood career.

So as Bridesmaids has successfully tied the knot on the big screen, this famous leprechaun has become a hit with the ladies. As improv was a main source of the films hilarity, it is clear that Officer Rhodes has even more to offer off screen. When recently watching his appearance on the Graham Norton Show, my adoration for this man only grew. As he fooled around with Ewan Mcgregor and a toy Light Saber, I felt myself wishing to fool about with his very own 'light saber'. And what's more, in real-life, he has a beard!

So, Hollywood welcomes a man from the home of Guinness, who can work a light saber, AND has a fuzzy chin...does it get better than this? I think not. Perhaps if I learn a few knock-knock jokes and don an Irish accent, Mr O'Dowd will 'fix my hard-drive', 'rock my boat', and 'put a ring on it'. I'm fairly certain this will occur in the near future, even if he doesn't know it yet. But like they, say love is blind.

So while I'm waiting, I guess another trip to the cinema will suffice.. just for a comedic watch, of course ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment