Friday 24 June 2011

Champagne Memories...



Tonight is the night where the kids of Brockhill School will be getting dolled up in their teenage finest. Yes, at 7pm my younger brother will be venturing to his Year 13 prom. For me, this touchstone fills me with great nostalgia and memories. On this day, two years ago, it was one of the most fabulous nights of my life! 

Once the pens were put down in our last ever exam, the celebrations begun. Weeks of bbq's, hot tub parties and mental nights out were nothing on what was to come, at the end of June. After me and the girls had eventually chosen our prom gear, it was time to mark the end of an era. However, on the morning of that fateful night, breaking news had hit. Michael Jackson had died. With many, many tears taking up the majority of my day, I finally decided to stop mourning and toast to his phenomenal life. The night was exactly what you'd wish for; champagne arrival, sunset backdrop, finger sandwiches, emotional speeches and reckless dancing.

However, there was one aspect that knocked me off my chair: the awards. To my absolute shock I had been voted 2009's Prom Queen! With my friend Ben also winning the King title. We were awarded with a certificate and a bottle of champers, the icing on the cake ;) So once the festivities had come to an end, we were the last ones standing, as always. Surrounded by the pink confetti and burst balloons, it was time to venture to the Priz. As I have mentioned before, this club doesn't have the best reputation, so when we arrived in our ball gowns, we looked a little out of place. But in a champagne fuzz, we couldn't care less. It seemed everyone that we knew had hit the Den that night, so after many more vodka shots and tumbles in dresses, 3am dawned on us and it was time to call it quits.

Remembering that night almost makes me a tad tearful (yes, it's that time of the month, apologies for the unnecessary emotion). But although I have had far more exciting nights since, this occasion will always be treasured. So as my baby bro get suited and booted for his big night, I'll put my memories to rest and crack open the champers ;) I am the Queen, after all.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see someone enjoyed their prom, I fecking hated every minute of mine!

    I think it's cos at the time me in a dress was a very rare concept and I'd gone for the Lily Allen approach...

    AHA Prom Queen Maisie Johnson LOL you kept that quiet ;) So cliche! xxx

    ReplyDelete