Thursday 29 April 2010

Old Soul at Heart...


I have always been told that i was born in the wrong era.; from clothes to music i should belong in the swinging 60s or funky 70s! I just adore the spirit and freedom that enveloped throughout the 70' decade, plus the colourful fashions of the 60s, although I'm not exactly a hippie!


About a year ago i decided that i 'needed' a classic record player in my life; but as my wages were usually scattered away on cheeky vodka redbulls and cab rides home, i had little left in the pit of my bank account. Therefore, i knew the only option would be a second hand eBay jobby; i was desperate for an original Dansette player, but their value tip toed far above my price limit, so i settled for a replica. Its wooden and nostalgic appearance automatically forced me to purchase the beauty; so i then scoured many boot fairs for some musical gems. Buddy Holly, Everly Brothers, The Beatles, Michael Jackson and Elvis are now all treasured vinyl that belongs in my collection. Although i enjoy a lot of modern music, such as Ellie Goulding and Bombay Bicycle Club, my true passions lie with the heroes of the 50s; a night out wouldn't be the same without Buddy Holly's 'Rave On' spinning out of my tune box.


However, regarding fashion, without a doubt, my absolute favourite decade has to be the 1920s. My enchantment with the classic trends of the 20s has prominent influence on my style of dress; as i flutter around Topshop or H&M, my desirous pupils never fail to elate with the views of fussy headbands and fringed dresses. I am completely infatuated with the grace and simplicity that can be created with a modest hair accessory and flowing dress, which is clearly conjured by the trends of the 1920s. After many countless watches of the fantastic film 'Singing in the Rain', i have always cherished the clothing worn by the female characters; especially Kathy Selden. The dusty lilac dress worn in one of the scenes, is an item that i am determined to posses; so i have been scanning the shops to find a quirky semblance of the original..no luck just yet!


So as i search the streets for 50s records and 20s dresses, I'll attempt to remind myself that we actually live in the 21st century!! But maybe another cheeky floral headband won't be such a sin ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment