Thursday 9 June 2011

Bitesize Delights!



For a few years now, my mum has been having an affair, no not with a man, but with baking. This came as quite a surprise for the woman who's cheffing philosophy is, the quicker, the better. With a full-time nursing job and other wifely duties, making dinner for six isn't exactly a pleasure, but just another chore. So when I discovered her new found adoration for making sweet treats, it was a shock to say the least. From buttery-iced cupcakes, to a fruitful pavlova, her skills in the kitchen have developed somewhat. Hythe's Nigella Lawson? Well perhaps I wouldn't go that far; she cooks for her own delight, not to 'obey' her husbands culinary wishes! However, he is a fan of her sugary creations of course.

In last years fall edition of Vogue, there was a very intriguing article that immediately caught my eye: 'The Age of the Cupcake.' My mum, the full-time nurse/cupcake entrepreneur, has now gone on to sell her bakery goods at weddings, country fairs and other celebratory events. So, when I stumbled across this feature, I snapped a pic of the heading and sent it to her. Once I had read the piece, acknowledging that my 43 year-old ma was more 'en-vogue' than me, left a proud but ever so slightly envious aftertaste.

The culture of the cupcake is a very British hobby. This alluring, candy-coated treat posseses the perfect handful of naughtiness and charm. Branded the glamorous desert choice, the cupcake oozes a chic and stylish approach to pudding. Ideal for social gatherings, this bitesize delight creates a warm and homely addition to a party. But it's the accessorizing and decorative element in which my mum revels in. Her prize ornament is the lavish, 3-tiered cupcake stand, one that she proudly presents on each event. However, further fun can be had with this enchanting little delicacy! My mum is also fond of garnishing each batch, she uses gold sprinkles or edible jewels. It simply gives this delectable indulgence a fun, unique finish; the 'ooo' factor!

So, I was extremely excited when I discovered that British Baker magazine had offered me a work placement later this year. I accepted immediately, with my mum's love for baking and my love for eating, I'll fit in like an oven glove! (Shameful pun, apologies). On the 10th of October, I will experience the written world of deserts, working in the most notorious baking magazine in the UK. Needless to say, this time it wasn't me to be jealous, but my mum. 

As its only a number of months until I start at British Baker, I believe that combining my writing skills with sugary treats, must undergo some practise. So, now's the time for Mumma Pledge to dust off her apron and perfect that cupcake! Just for journalistic reasons, of course... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment