Tuesday 7 June 2011

My Hips Don't Lie...


June is here, which means those dark grey days are behind us, supposedly. The thought of summer fills us Brits with the image of sunshine glossed picnics and chips on the beach. But for many of us the season is not all about tan lines and BBQs, as its that time of year to squeeze our 'bikini bods' back into last years two piece. Most assume no carbs and monotonous gyming is the only way to trim down, but a new fitness craze has changed the face of exercise. Of course, I'm talking about Zumba.

After the many years of aerobics, spinning, yoga, pilates and boxercise, these customary workouts have become tired and predictable. So with Zumbas Latino steps and hip spirals, this fitness class promises a fun and foolish way to loose the pounds and tone up. I've always wanted to join a salsa group, as I relish the freedom and sensuality involved in the dance. Plus, nothing quite feels more liberating than shaking your hips to a great tune! However, most of my friends believe salsa is for pensioners and women on the other side of menopause. So, this would mean joining on my own and undergoing an hour of seductive dance with an unknown male. Hi, I'm Maisie, Shall we Dance? It's not quite Richard Gear or JLo, so I think I'll save myself the embarrassment.

Now we can welcome the saviour of salsa, Zumba! A carefree and enjoyable activity that can thankfully be attended solo. So the idea of having a strange man's pelvis skimming against your 'frufru', is needn't a concern (que, sigh of relief). The European based dance, focuses on the tribal movements of various cultures, including Greece, India and Spain, to name a few. With a delectable mix of composed steps and freestyle moments, the class is suitable for everyone.

After enduring endless hours at the gym and joining yoga for a quick second, there's finaly a workout that appeals. The glorious mentality of Zumba is that if you can't follow the steps, shimmer those hips and skip along with the beat. You'll be sure to finish the hour with high spirits and a sweaty brow! I have been 'Zumbaring' since the dawn of the new year and it continues to excite me, I can't praise it enough.

In the wise words of Shakira, My Hips Don't Lie...

No comments:

Post a Comment