Tuesday 14 June 2011

The Fruits of Folkestone...


After watching Hangover 2 twice last week, it made me hungry for some cheesy tunes and a dirty dance floor. People in my home town will know, this only means one thing: 'La Prizienne'. Other nicknames include the Priz, the Grizler or the Grizly Den. This grimey club has had several attempts to change its poor reputation over the years, with a number of 're-designs' and name changes. Now, officially called 'Onyx', the club continues to disappoint the youth of folkestone. But regardless of the sticky floor and middle-aged regulars, the Priz is almost a guilty pleasure. Besides, Folkestone doesn't offer much else!

So I roped the girls into a night on the town. It didn't quite reach the Hangover's drunken antics of missing fingers or face tattoos, but it was a giggle nonetheless. We started at my friend Amy's with sangria, vodka and wine; clearly the 'no mixing' rule was quickly broken (rebellious i know). After many, many outfit changes, we all jumped in a cab to Folkestone's Spoons. A charming place, full of underage and overage drinkers. We found ourselves stuck in the middle; are we too old for this town, or too young? But after a round of sambuca shots, the 12 year-old dollies and 86 year-old pensioners were soon blurred in a drunken fog.

As the night went on, we bumped into a few of our old 'Brockhillian' classmates. Seeing faces that I hadn't seen since I was in secondary school, added to that 'should I be here' doubt. But at least they were our age! Once the small talk/cider slur had dried up, it was time to brace the Grizly.

It's safe to say it was messy. Anyone who has ventured to the Priz before knows you have to be heavily pissed to enjoy the night. Therefore in your blissful ignorance, the track-suited teens and mini-skirted mothers become just a part of the background. And all that's left is you, your mates and the dancefloor. However, this can be lethal, especially in the cheese room. Saturday played some classics, from 60's swing to Blink 182, arms were flung and I do believe the robot even came out at one point. Oh, and not forgetting a great deal of hip shaking! After all that Zumba, I just couldn't resist a drunken performance. I'm surprised I didn't actually break a hip. Although, if I had, at least I would fit in with the OAP regulars. Luckily, there is little picture evidence.

So with one of the girls stacking it on the dancefloor, I believe it was a very successful 'trip' out! Once we'd finally got back to Amy's gaff, amongst the peanut butter toasties and Dorito crisps, there was an unusual variety of fruit eaten. Bananas, oranges, apples, you name it we ate it. I guess that's not exactly rock and roll, but we live in Hythe, what do you expect? I promise next time, I'll endure a night of full Hangover antics..shave my head and get arrested? Although, I'm not really a fan of the Britney inspired look, so perhaps I'll leave the razor in the cupboard and venture out in the fruit department. Maybe even gorge on a grapefruit next time! I know, what an animal.

No comments:

Post a Comment