Wednesday 8 June 2011

'Just Around the Riverbend'...Tales of a Boho Bridesmaid.


2011's catwalk is pushing that infamous 70's trend all the way down the runway and into our highstreet favourites. Imitating the Farrah Fawcett flicks and flares, it seems everyone from Marc Jacobs to Topshop are fans this season. Although, this retro-glam trend has had its setbacks, notably, Cheryl Cole's tragic purple trousers. But regardless of this disastrous outfit, I'm still massively fond of the hippy-Esq fashion.

The laid back, bohemian style has always been at the heart of all my fashion decisions. I'm smitten with the effortless appearance of messy hair, tie-died tees and ripped shorts, although I cannot dress like this in my hometown, without the disapproval of Hythe's coffin dodgers. But an opportunity has risen for me to forest into the delicious realm of bohemian dress! After 16 years of living together, having two children and four cats, my dad and his partner have decided to tie the knot. However, they are not the typical candidates for marriage and will be holding the reception in our back garden. With a BBQ to serve the hundreds and a local SKA band to soundtrack the celebrations. My dad will be strutting down the isle of an old manor house, in a brown suit and pork-pie hat, whilst my future step-mum will float down the isle in a Grecian gown.

This leaves me and my younger sister as bridesmaids. Usually, this thought would haunt me with visions of ugly kitten heels and hideous pink meringues (ironically, I don't even like pavlova or baked Alaska, so looking like a sugary pudding doesn't exactly excite). But this wedding is far from traditional, as we will be heading to the venue in one of my dad's classic VW campers! So, this is the idyllic time to explore my bohemian wishes without looking like a misfit in society.

I have been browsing the Internet for inspiration and so far I have not yet found my gypsy-Esq gown. But I will not surrender until I have found a floaty, floor-length, ivory coloured dress; perhaps with a subtle floral print or bow detail. Yes, I admit, it may be a challenge, but with just under two months until the big day, I have just enough time to bag the look of a boho bridesmaid! And if not, I'm sure I can make some sort of headband with the mountain of daisies surrounding my garden. So, 'Just around the Riverbend', a bridal Pocahontas? August 6th, watch this space...

1 comment:

  1. I'll keep my eyes peeled for anything that matches your dress quota!

    Glad to see you blogging again, loving your posts!

    I've put you on my list of blogs to read, get you some more fame girl!

    <3

    ReplyDelete